|April 8, 2005|
A Journey of a Thousand Miles Starts With a Single Step
A good walking program is the basis for successful weight loss and fitness for many people and it should be for you too. Here are a few steps you can take to develop your own fat-burning walking program:
1. Find ways to make your walking enjoyable, by listening to music, books on tape, or teaching tapes. Or, some people prefer to just enjoy nature and life around them, and the time to think or just let their mind wander. The more you enjoy your walks, the more likely you are to walk consistently.
2. Make it a DAILY habit - just like brushing your teeth. Walking daily makes you a much better "fat-burner" than if you are walking two to three days a week. And, most people that make the switch will tell you that it's easier to walk every day. You don't have to think about whether it's a walk day or not and get geared up for it - you just do it every day and your body gets used to it. It soon becomes a normal part of your day and you begin to look forward to it.
3. Incorporate "intervals" into three or four of your walks each week. Intervals are brief periods (about one minute) of more intense exercise mixed into our walking sessions. For example, you would do a one minute interval of faster walking about every five minutes throughout your exercise session.
Here's how it will look; you'll start with your normal three to five minute warm-up and then five minutes into your walk you do your first interval, one minute of faster walking (or perhaps jogging). At the end of that minute you should be "winded" and ready to slow down. You'll slow down to your normal walking speed for the next four minutes and then your fifth minute is another one minute interval. This pattern continues throughout your exercise session.
4. Train for a 5K or 10K walk in your area. Training for an event like this is very motivating and gives you a tremendous sense of accomplishment.
5. If you're not weight training, walk with light (one to two pound) hand weights two to three days per week. Swing your arms and also use a variety of arm movements while walking to tone your upper body muscles and further increase your basal metabolic rate.
6. If at all possible, do your walking first thing in the morning. Over 90% of people who walk consistently, walk first thing in the morning. If you want to walk consistently, odds are in your favor if you hop to it early.
7. If you're really in a hurry to get the fat-burning machine cranked-up, add a short, leisurely walk to your regimen a few evenings each week. Many people like to take a conversational walk with a spouse, friend, or child after dinner.
8. Look for situations throughout your day when you can do a little more walking. Welcome the opportunity to walk a little extra during your daily activities. For example, when safe to do so, park way out in the parking lot of your grocery store and hike to the store (when safe).
9. Make one day a week your "easy day." Make this a very leisurely walk. Enjoy the sights and sounds around you and appreciate how good your walks are starting to feel as you lose weight and tone your muscles.
10. Keep a record of your walking. There's something very motivating about seeing your walking accomplishments and paper. Record the date and time-of-day of your walk, and the distance and/or time you walked. Keep a running total of the miles or minutes you've walked. Also, record your thoughts or feelings for that particular walk.
By taking these steps you're making this time each day a special time to take care of yourself. Make that a priority in your life and don't let anyone or anything keep you from that time. Walking every day will have a positive impact on all aspects of your life, including your weight and fitness level.
Don't forget to drink a lot of water while you walk. Drinking water flushes
fats out of your system as well as increasing your metabolism. Instead
of soft drinks or powdered drink mixes that are loaded with chemicals
and sugar, I suggest is adding the juice of half a lemon to 32 ounces
of water with a sprinkle of Steviva
Brand Stevia Powder. Aside from being less than 2 carbs, you will
get the health benefits that the stevia provides along with the vitamin
C and electrolytes that lemon have. You can substitute limes for lemons
if you get bored and break the routine even more by adding a little unsweetened
cranberry juice. Click
here to order stevia powder.
If you have questions about our products we highly recommend going to our Frequently Asked Questions pages or searching our resource center. Our resource center contains hundreds of links to a variety of sites that contain information regarding stevia, low carb, health and more. Check it out!
Have you missed out on one of our newsletter? Please go to our Newsletter Archives and you can read all our past issues.
Use won ton
wrappers for dumplings or pot stickers, (mine are 16 grams of carbohydrate
for 5 pieces).
1 part water
Two Complete Programs Atkins and South Beach - Our Gift To You!
Overcoming the boredom and lack of variety is perhaps the biggest obstacle you will face in a diet. Well, that is about to change. With this Complete Atkins and South Beach Diet Program, your variety will be vastly improved. You can set up your meals weeks in advance, or you can plan around whatever your local grocery chain happens to have on sale that week, saving you thousands each year on your grocery bill.
Free with any Steviva Brands purchase, you will receive, The Atkins Diet Plan, The Atkins CARB COUNTER and Over 1000+ great recipes. Plus the 4 week South Beach E-Plan, Over 1000+ South Beach Recipes, Glycemic Counter, to keep track of your sugar intake, Substitution Food List & South Beach Shopping List, Helpful Tips and Hints to the South Beach Diet. All Free with any Steviva.com purchase!
All of our products carry a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If for any reason you are not 100% happy with any of our products, send them back for a full refund.
These plans will ALLOW you to eat almost everything you enjoy and will re-introduce you to foods you used to think were not allowed.
For More Low Carb and Sugar Free Recipes Go To Steviva Recipes!