The transition into a Primal diet can be arduous for some people, especially since a primal diet consists of omitting foods such as refined grains, juices, refined and processed sugars, artificial and synthetic sugars and more. Basically, it is about avoiding all the unnatural toxic foods and digging into human’s primitive history to eat foods that are natural. Here are some tips for the converting and transitioning into the primal caveman diet and improving your health:
- If you are beginning this diet as a means to lose weight- make sure you throw out your SCALE, however there is nothing wrong with weighing yourself in moderation. If you are doing resistance training (which is recommended) the scale will not likely move as you will be losing fat but gaining muscle.
- It is wise that you avoid eating a lot of fruit while on a paleo that is high in fat. Remember, fruit transpires and is often equivalent to sugar. It can help transport the excess fat right to the stomach and buttocks. Eating too much fruit can also generate a larger sweet tooth. Consider fruit a SNACK or a treat- not a meal. Eat fruit sparingly.
- Natural sweeteners – Agave, Xylitol, Stevia or any other sweetener can be used, preferably that of Stevia as it does not metabolize in the body and does not account for a single calorie. However, the faster you COMPLETELY eliminate fake sweeteners such as Splenda, Nutrasweet or any other name they go by…. DON’T USE THEM AT ALL unless you are trying to kill yourself.
- Use spices to enhance the flavor of food. Hot pepper (cayenne) and crushed red pepper flakes bring things to life and are known to increase metabolism. Others like cumin, sage, parsley, Italian seasoning, and sea salt will go far and to make things tastier, naturally. Use Stevia sweetener, cloves, cinnamon, Cacao powder, almond and vanilla extracts for desserts.
- Apple cider vinegar, herbal teas, Pure lime or lemon juice (or combos of all ) mixed with water make great zero calorie drinks. Get a few BPA free water bottles or use old glass apple cider vinegar (ACV) bottles and take them to work. For a warm drink. Peppermint tea with a tablespoon of coconut oil and cocoa/cacao power is fantastic!
- If it was purchased in any kind of package DO NOT EAT IT! Read labels carefully most foods sold in this form always contain more than one ingredient and tons of sugars, additives, and preservatives.
- Keep the food you eat as simple as possible for a bit. Don’t get all carried away with baking “paleo” treats. These are just food gimmicks under disguise. Cookies, pies, and Muffins, and foods similar have been the culprits of making you sick and fat to begin with.
- Chewing gum and diet soda should not be consumed. Even the synthetic sugars will transpire into sugar alcohols and cause you to crave more sugar and carbs. Instead of soda, try water with lemon, hot teas, sparkling water, and get creative with your beverages.
- Donate all your old non-paleo food to the food pantries and the needy. It can be tempting anyway to keep it around, and after this diet you will no longer want those types of foods.
Stick the paleo diet out for at least 2-3 months. It may be tough at first, but VERY well worth it. This is not a “diet”. It’s a lifestyle change! If you stick it out to 6 months you will never even consider eating a differently again. You will feel like a million bucks and all your negative health issues will completely vanish.