honest self-analysis to gain clarity
In order to embrace the new, we must release the old. A trapeze artist can not swing from one bar to another without letting go. An important part of moving forward in is to review the past year, release it and to learn from it.
To go where we wish to go and be whom we wish to be, we need to know where we are and who we are. An honest self-analysis is always helpful to gain clarity. Considering all that happened over the past year, it seems particularly fitting to devote some time to reflecting on the year past and where we find ourselves in the dawn of the year ahead.
The following questions should stimulate your thinking for this process. I hope that you take time out of your busy schedule to ponder where you are and where you’ve been. Talk with people you care about. Write out your thoughts and feelings. Do some journaling.
Reflect upon what you did, how you felt, what you liked, what you didn’t and what you learned. Try to look at yourself and your experience with as much objectivity as you can-much like a biographer would.
Here are some suggestions to get you started in mulling over the past year and perhaps even the last decade. Feel free to add your own.
1. What did I learn? (skills, knowledge, awareness, etc.)
2. What did I accomplish? A list of my wins and achievements.
3. What would I have done differently? Why?
4. What did I complete or release? What still feels incomplete to me?
5. What were the most significant events of the year past? List the top three.
6. What did I do right? What do I feel especially good about? What was my greatest contribution?
7. What were the fun things I did? What were the not-so-fun?
8. What were my biggest challenges/roadblocks/difficulties?
9. How am I different this year than last?
10. For what am I particularly grateful?
Another Suggestion: Consider listing all the things in your life of which you’d like to let go and anything you no longer want. Be thankful for what they’ve brought you in terms of learning, growth and usefulness and then burn the list. It’s a symbolic gesture to help you release the old and be open to the new. The next step is to list what you want in regard to experiences, knowledge, material things, relationships, healing or whatever.
Read your list on a weekly basis and you will be amazed how these new desired experiences and desires will manifest. It is real magic.