5 awesome tips on getting the most out of life
It is no secret to those who know me; I am a big Foo Fighters fan. The other day I was listening to one of their song entitled These Days. http://youtu.be/zPHzknP7jNQ . I found the lyrics to be quite poignant and it made me take pause and really thing about whether I am living my life to its absolutely fullest.
One of these days the ground will drop out from beneath your feet
One of these days your heart will stop and play its final beat
One of these days the clocks will stop and time won’t mean a thing
There are two unique schools on thought on living life to its fullest. These create a dichotomy. The Buddhist philosophy would have us believe that we should not be in such a rush and take time to smell the roses and be in the moment. I get this. I am suggesting that we live every moment as though it were our last and while doing so stay completely in the moment of the experience.
Here are five tips to get the most out of your human experience while staying firmly in the present.
• Fight the Fear With Faith. All of us are plagued with fear on some kind. Fear of failure, fear of falling, fear of intimacy, fear of not being good enough. Fear serves us no good. Whether it is faith in a higher power or faith in you, faith helps temper our fears. Faith helps us believe that we will make it through the moment that is trying the most. Take a minute to take a look at your fears, feel them, embrace them, write them down and ponder them, now release them. You will not need them any longer. Come up with an action plan on how you are going to overcome them.
• Create a Bucket List. For those of you who are not familiar with a bucket list, it is simply a list of things you want to do or accomplish before you kick the bucket. My sister Gina is perhaps the person whom I draw my biggest bucket list inspiration from. Gina is a person who honors her bucket list and lives her life to the fullest. Last year she climbed Kilimanjaro. This year she completed her first triathlon and over the holidays she is climbing Aconcagua the highest mountain in the Americas . Take out a piece of paper and start writing down all of the experiences you want to have before you time is up. Get creative and put no limitations on yourself. The crazier the better. Look at this list daily and envision taking the steps to accomplish this list in its entirety.
• Rally The Forces. No man is an island. Once you have made the commitment to live your life to its fullest bring in your support time. Draw people into your life and your commitment that will encourage you and even hold your feet to the fire if you start getting off track. You can even make it public if you want on your Facebook page or whatever social media you use.
• Keep a Record of Record Breaking. Ink it. Once you start living your life to the fullest journal it. On days that you feel you can’t move forward and you are stuck in the mud you can look back and see that you have made amazing progress and this lull will too pass.
• Pay it Forward. Once you are on your path to fulfillment share it with others. Inspire them through your actions and accomplishments. Encourage friends, family, contemporaries and acquaintances with your kind words of support. This creates Karma and will make your experiences even sweeter yet.
Most changes do not happen overnight but, don’t rule them out if they do. What I am saying is cut yourself a break if you aren’t knocking your list out at the rate you would like. Keep your eye on the prize and keep pressing forward. Eventually your will get there and it will be awesome. Pat yourself on the back and know you have just lived your life to its fullest.