If you are unable to view this newsletter go to: http://www.steviva.com/archive/lowcarb072805.htm
|July 28, 2005|
More Protein The Secret To Low Carb Success
In a recent Los Angeles Times article it was revealed the to reach a healthier weight — with fewer hunger pangs — consider eating more lean protein.
A new study points to protein's power to satisfy hunger better than either fat or carbohydrates. The findings also could help explain the recent clamor for low-carbohydrate diets, which are high in protein.
This is "telling us that one of the reasons why the low-carbohydrate diets seemed to work is not because of low carbohydrates, but because of high protein," said Arne Astrup, head of human nutrition at the Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University in Copenhagen.
"Look at Atkins, South Beach and the Zone," said Astrup, author of an editorial accompanying the study in this month's American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. These diets provide "30 to 40% of calories from protein," he noted.
Thirty percent of daily calories as protein — about twice what most people eat and the upper limit recommended by the Institute of Medicine — is the amount that University of Washington researchers gave to 19 participants in the study. All were about 10 pounds overweight and had maintained their weight for at least three months. Prospective participants interested in dieting were eliminated from the study.
Here's how researchers boosted protein in the study.
• Add nonfat dairy products. Drink skim milk with meals and use it instead of water to make oatmeal or "creamy" soups, such as tomato. Snack on nonfat yogurt. Use shredded nonfat or low-fat cheese for pizza, tacos and for grilled cheese sandwiches on whole wheat bread. Add nonfat dry milk to mashed potatoes and casseroles.
• Eat more lentils and beans. Not only are they high in protein, but they pack complex carbohydrates that don't increase blood sugar and contain plenty of fiber. Tofu, soy milk and soy-based meat substitutes are also protein rich. Or add a little soy powder to orange juice to boost protein.
• Crack an egg. Egg whites are pure protein with no fat or cholesterol. Hard-boil and fill with guacamole, salsa or bean dip, or chop and sprinkle on salads. Egg substitutes contain no cholesterol and less fat than regular eggs. Or use one whole egg with extra egg whites to make fluffy, high protein omelets or frittata.
• Eat more lean cuts of meat, poultry and fish. Skinless turkey and chicken breasts were frequent mainstays as was beef lasagna made with lean ground beef and ground turkey.
• Eliminate sugar and don't forget to drink a lot of water while you increase your protein intake. Drinking water flushes fats out of your system as well as increasing your metabolism. Instead of soft drinks or powdered drink mixes that are loaded with chemicals and sugar, I suggest is adding the juice of half a lemon to 32 ounces of water with a sprinkle of Steviva Brand Stevia Powder. Aside from being less than 2 carbs, you will get the health benefits that the stevia provides along with the vitamin C and electrolytes that lemon have. You can substitute limes for lemons if you get bored and break the routine even more by adding a little unsweetened cranberry juice. Click here to order stevia powder.
Option: Double the glaze recipe to make extra glaze for dipping or sauce.
Two Complete Programs Atkins and South Beach - Our Gift To You!
Overcoming the boredom and lack of variety is perhaps the biggest obstacle you will face in a diet. Well, that is about to change. With this Complete Atkins and South Beach Diet Program, your variety will be vastly improved. You can set up your meals weeks in advance, or you can plan around whatever your local grocery chain happens to have on sale that week, saving you thousands each year on your grocery bill.
Free with any Steviva Brands purchase, you will receive, The Atkins Diet Plan, The Atkins CARB COUNTER and Over 1000+ great recipes. Plus the 4 week South Beach E-Plan, Over 1000+ South Beach Recipes, Glycemic Counter, to keep track of your sugar intake, Substitution Food List & South Beach Shopping List, Helpful Tips and Hints to the South Beach Diet. All Free with any Steviva.com purchase!
All of our products carry a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If for any reason you are not 100% happy with any of our products, send them back for a full refund.
These plans will ALLOW you to eat almost everything you enjoy and will re-introduce you to foods you used to think were not allowed.
For More Low Carb and Sugar Free Recipes Go To Steviva Recipes!