Giving Our Kids a Head Start
nipping crime at the bud starts at home with our at risk youth
I was having dinner with one of my sisters last night and the topic of one of our cousins came up. He has a PhD in Criminology and teaches at a university. The main emphasis of his teachings are the measures we can take to reduce crime. When asked “how do we prevent crime” he said is starts in the home. The most effective method in curtailing crime has been the Head Start Program coupled with having social workers visit each week to make sure that kids are fed, clean and not being abused. It is amazing that the most effective device we have against crime is simply the Head Start Program and social workers!
Despite being one of the most successful programs in the federal government, Head Start, which gets America's poorest children ready to learn in kindergarten and beyond, is in a bad way today after three years of "neglect and disdain," according to the National Head Start Association (NHSA). Among the problems highlighted in new data from NHSA: almost 9,000 slots for poor children have been trimmed from the program, the percentage of eligible children served by Head Start and Early Head Start programs has eroded to 20 percent, and half of local Head Start grantees have been forced to cut services and/or staffing during the past two years.
The Association warned that even more "de facto dismantling" of Head Start is in the works, with about two thirds of programs expecting to cut services (such as hours of operations, the length of the school calendar year and programs for disabled children) and/or staff (including degreed teachers).
National Head Start Association President and CEO Sarah Greene said: "Ironically, funds are drying up at the very point where demands are being placed on Head Start programs to hire more teachers with degrees.”
There are a few things you can do to help:
Crime affects all of us. And we have an opportunity to stop it where it starts. Children are our future and our proactive participation can make this world a better place as well as strengthening our nations basic foundation.
For the month of September Steviva Brands, Inc. will donate 10% of our net profits to support Head Start. We would appreciate your participation as well.
Thank all of you for your patronage.
Have an excellent day.
Steviva Brands, Inc.
Your Are What You Think
Whatever you plant in your subconscious mind
and nourish every day with conviction and emotion
will one day become a reality.
Constant repetition carries conviction.
Repeat something often enough and it will start to become you.
A change in what you tell yourself
will result in a change in your behavior.
What you impress upon your mind,
you'll inevitably become.
Self suggestion will make you master of yourself.
Kicking Your Sugar Addiction
Sugar addiction has long been joked about, and there's good reason.
Many medical professionals believe that having sugar cravings, losing control, and over-consuming sweets is due to lack of willpower. But years of research are now forcing them to see sugar addiction in a new light -- one that doesn't blame the person.
Studies suggest that certain brain actions and characteristics associated with the intake of sweets overlap those of drug addiction. For example, one study showed that sudden abstinence from sweets triggers withdrawal symptoms similar to those of sudden abstinence from drugs.
So if you crave and overeat sweets, and want to wean yourself from them, going cold turkey may not be the answer.
Plan a phase out stage by:
- allowing yourself an occasional small candy or cookie eaten along with a healthy diet of moderate, regularly scheduled meals.
- gradually replacing sugar with Steviva Brand Stevia Blend or Steviva Brand Stevia Powder
- increasing your water consumption during the times when your cravings are the most intense. What I suggest is adding the juice of half a lemon or 4 tablespoons of unsweetened cranberry juice to 32 ounces of water with a sprinkle of Steviva Brand Stevia Powder . Aside from being less than 2 carbs, you will get the health benefits that the stevia provides along with the vitamin C and electrolytes that lemon have. You can substitute limes for lemons if you get bored.
Withdrawal symptoms will be minimized, if not entirely eliminated, and you will greatly increase the chances of kicking your sweet habit forever.
Exercising Your Personal Power
“The deep root of failure in our lives is to think, ‘Oh how useless and powerless I am.’ It is essential to think strongly and forcefully, ‘I can do it,’ without boasting or fretting.”
-- Dalai Lama
Angeles Arrien says that whether we are male or female, we need to develop three kinds of power. People who hold these three powers cannot be ignored.
1. Power of presence – Being really present in each moment
2. Power of communication – Speaking my truth
3. Power of position – Being willing to take a stand
“A man’s true state of power and riches is to be in himself.”
-- Henry Ward Beecher
“We are no longer puppets being manipulated by outside powerful forces; we become the powerful force ourselves.”
-- Leo Buscaglia
Sugar Free Low Glycemic Blackberry Apple Pie
Carbs Per Serving: 8.2 g
Prep Time:<55 minutes
2 1/2 pounds apples, peeled, cored, sliced
2 cups blackberries
1 cup Steviva Brand Stevia Blend or 1/8 teaspoon Steviva Brand Stevia Powder mixed with 1 cup of unsweetened apple sauce.
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons whole grain flour
1 tablespoon butter, cut in small pieces
whole grain pie shell for two-crust 9-inch pie
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Mix the apples and blackberries together in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the Steviva Brand Stevia Blend or Steviva Brand Stevia Powder applesauce blend, spices, and flour; gently mix into the fruit mixture. Line a 9-inch pie plate with bottom crust.
- Spoon the fruit filling into the prepared crust, then dot with butter. Top with the remaining pie crust, leaving a slight overhang. Crimp the edges of the top and bottom crusts together, sealing the fruit into the shell.
- Whisk the egg yolk and milk together, and brush this wash over the top crust.
- With a sharp knife, make several slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 375° for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until the apples are tender. If crust seems to be browning too quickly, reduce the heat to 325 degrees.
115 calories (4% calories from fat)
1 g protein
1 g total fat (4.9 g saturated fat),
8.2 g carbohydrate
4.2 g dietary fiber
0.8 mg cholesterol
146 mg sodium
Try All Natural Steviva Brand Stevia Blend and Steviva Brand Stevia Powder!
SAVE OVER $10.00 with the Super Duper Let’s Get Acquainted Special #1. To get you familiar with our products we offer 1 - 8 ounce by volume bottle of (1.3 ounces by weight) Steviva Brand 95% Stevia Powder and 1 lb Bag of Steviva Brand Stevia Blend for cooking and baking. A $34.75 Value for only $25.00! PLUS WE WILL SHIP IT TO YOU FOR FREE! Click Here To Order!
SAVE OVER $6.00 with the Super Duper Let’s Get Acquainted Special #2. To get you familiar with our products we offer 2 - 8 ounce by volume bottle of (1.3 ounces by weight) Steviva Brand 95% Stevia Powder. A $31.75 Value for only $25.00! PLUS WE WILL SHIP IT TO YOU FOR FREE! Click Here To Order!
Steviva brand organic tea cut stevia leaves are approximately 40 times sweeter than sugar. Stevia leaves can be added to your favorite tea or they can be your favorite tea. We are offering 1 kilo/2.2 lbs for $29.99 our regular price is $39.95. Click here to order as many as you want.
5 lb of Steviva Brand Organic Yerba Mate Green Tea - This stimulating herbal beverage has the unique ability to wake up the mind without the nervousness and jitters associated with coffee. It is amazing and delicious and on sale for $36.90. The regular price is $45.00 Click here to order as many as you want.